Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Boom

Movie stars, wrestlers, baseball players, onomatopoeia and cute animals are all fair game when it comes to English nicknames.

In Daejeon, I was teaching elementary and middle school students, most of which had not yet chosen an English nickname.  I would go into class and write the names of my family members on the board and let them take their pick.  Soon it became a personal challenge to name a Korean student for every extended family member back home.  After covering Sara, Steve, Alex, Tom, Kay, and Becca, I moved on to aunts and uncles, grandparents (I never convinced anyone to be Mama May..... though not for lack of trying), and was working on some cousins before everything went crazy and I moved to Mokpo.

Not all students were a blank slate for my naming pleasure however.  Notably Kitty, Hobart, and Linny.  Man I miss Linny, he was awesome.  Of course I also miss Jim, Judy, Tom, Tina, Rob, Jay, Mary, Katie, Lisa, Sara, Janis, Becky, and the others, both Korean and otherwise.

At the University, either the students are more creative with their names, or their Middle school foreign teachers were more creative than I am.  Here, I've got a Malfoy, two friends named Harry and Potter, and who can forget the silent yet lovable Mr. October.  Speaking of Silent, I've got one of those too.  Politics aren't left out of course.  Ohbama (with the "h") always sits in the front row.  There's also (inexplicably) Drogba, several Sunnys, the Cashesque boy named Kate, and the student who couldn't make up his mind for a week and then finally settled on Boom.

I suppose I should show more responsibility and tell these people that their names are complete nonsense.

But who can blame me when I get to read off these names for attendance every day?

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh....I am laughing so hard that I'm crying! Steve and I think that you should name someone "Bond James Bond" to make attendance-taking even more fun than it already is. Hmmm, then you could name a few of the ruffians in your class Blowfeld, Jaws, Drax, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, enough about this Korea business.

    What do you think about Ben and Sayid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh. I made the mistake of reading this post while at work and now several people have come into my office saying, "what's so funny"? To which I reply "Mr. October! The Boy Named Kate! Boom!" and now I officially feel like a nonsensical Korean student of yours.

    On another note, please get someone to name themselves Reeses... requested by your dog cousin.

    ReplyDelete